Find a school near you!
Animation? Design? Game Art?
How to Become a Graphic Designer in Grand Rapids, Michigan
With nearly 200,000 local residents and no less than 35,000 commercial businesses, the city of Grand Rapids, Michigan is an ideal home base for graphic artists seeking employment in communications design. Companies all around Grand Rapids hire graphic designers for a wide assortment of commercial visual tasks.
Grand Rapids Schools and Training Programs for Graphic Design
Quite a few reputable colleges in Grand Rapids, Michigan offer degree programs in graphic design. Popular Grand Rapids design schools include Calvin College, Davenport University, Grand Rapids Community College and ITT Tech. Some local aspiring designers earn their degrees online. Schools offering nationwide online degree programs in graphic design include The Art Institutes, University of Phoenix, DeVry and ITT Tech.
Graphic designers at colleges in Grand Rapids, Michigan typically major in Fine Arts or Visual Communications. Course work might involve computer science, traditional media, website design, digital art, photography, animation, technical drawing, typography, printmaking, marketing and other related subjects.
Working as a Graphic Designer in Grand Rapids, Michigan
Graphic designers in Grand Rapids, Michigan remain in ongoing demand. Available local design jobs include styling company logos, product descriptions, promotional artwork, educational materials, book covers, web pages, commercial packaging, street signs, home interiors, textile patterns and assembly instructions, to name just a few.
Some graphic designers in Grand Rapids, Michigan work for leading local advertising agencies like Juctuce-&-Monroe, JW Messner, Kantor-&-Wassink, Stevens Advertising and Yellow Book USA. Other local artists design film credits and promotional artwork for top Grand Rapids movie producers like Fulvew, Gymco Sports, Motion Picture Makers and Triangle Productions, among others.
Grand Rapids graphic designers also work for sign makers, art galleries, photography studios, news syndicates, patent offices, software developers, schools, retailers, real estate agents and internet start-ups, among others.
Around 250,000 graphic designers currently hold paid positions in American commercial businesses. About half of all U.S. graphic designers earn between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, although this figure does not account for the unreported incomes of self employed designers. Starting salaries for Communications Design professionals are based heavily on education, experience and skill level. Design portfolios are crucial when hiring decisions are made. A design portfolio is a collection of images representing the artist's best work.
Skills of a Graphic Designer
Graphic design is a method of visual communication that involves the sending of specific messages to particular target markets. Much of the graphic designer's job involves page layout, which is manipulating and arranging the size, color, orientation, motion and other visual attributes of images and their backgrounds.
Graphic designers understand the effect of subtle visual techniques like juxtaposition of form, the location of the observer, the psychology of symbolism, how colors affect moods and how the physical appearance of a word can alter its meaning. A successful professional graphic design is a commercial work of art that serves its intended purpose with laser-like precision.
- Find a School
- Animation Programs
- Find Schools with Animation, Design, & Gaming Programs
- Schools & Colleges
- College Outreach
- Alabama - Kentucky
- Alabama Animation Schools
- Alaska Animation Schools
- Arizona Animation Schools
- Arkansas Animation Schools
- California Animation Schools
- Colorado Animation Schools
- Connecticut Animation Schools
- Delaware Animation Schools
- District of Columbia (DC)
- Florida Animation Schools
- Georgia Animation Schools
- Hawaii Animation Schools
- Idaho Animation Schools
- Illinois Animation Schools
- Indiana Animation Schools
- Iowa Animation Schools
- Kansas Animation Schools
- Kentucky Animation Schools
- Louisiana - North Dakota
- Louisiana Animation Schools
- Maine Animation Schools
- Maryland Animation Schools
- Massachusetts Animation Schools
- Michigan Animation Schools
- Minnesota Animation Schools
- Mississippi Animation Schools
- Missouri Animation Schools
- Montana Animation Schools
- Nebraska Animation Schools
- Nevada Animation Schools
- New Hampshire Animation Schools
- New Jersey Animation Schools
- New Mexico Animation Schools
- New York Animation Schools
- North Carolina Animation Schools
- North Dakota Animation Schools
- Ohio - Wyoming
- Ohio Animation Schools
- Oklahoma Animation Schools
- Oregon Animation Schools
- Pennsylvania Animation Schools
- Rhode Island Animation Schools
- South Carolina Animation Schools
- South Dakota Animation Schools
- Tennessee Animation Schools
- Texas Animation Schools
- Utah Animation Schools
- Vermont Animation Schools
- Virginia Animation Schools
- Washington Animation Schools
- West Virginia Animation Schools
- Wisconsin Animation Schools
- Wyoming Animation Schools
- Careers in Animation
- Animation Firm Profiles
- Software & Technology
- How to Become a Graphic Designer in Michigan
- What You Need to Know to Be a Multimedia Editor in Grand Rapids, Michigan
- What You Need to Know to Be a Video Game Designer in Grand Rapids, Michigan
- How to Become an Animator in Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Tips on Becoming a Mobile App Developer in Grand Rapids, Michigan