Find a school near you!
Animation? Design? Game Art?
Info on Working as a Graphic Designer in St. Louis, Missouri
With nearly 320,000 residents inside the city limits and as many as 100,000 commercial businesses, Saint Louis, Missouri is a popular home for many local artists pursuing careers in graphic design. Thousands of Saint Louis companies hire graphic designers for limitless assorted commercial purposes.
St. Louis Schools and Training Programs for Graphic Design
A handful of renowned Saint Louis colleges and Universities offer full degree programs in graphic design. Popular local choices include University of Missouri, Maryville University, Missouri College, Ranken Technical College and Washington University. Some aspiring local designers earn professional degrees online. Among the largest schools offering online degree programs in graphic design are The Art Institutes, DeVry, ITT Tech, University of Phoenix.
Graphic artists attending design schools in Saint Louis usually major in visual communications. Courses may include website design, digital media, traditional media, photography, animation, technical drawing, typography, printmaking, mass marketing, psychology and other relevant topics.
Working as a Graphic Designer in St. Louis, Missouri
Graphic designers in Saint Louis, Missouri remain in ongoing demand. Many local design jobs exist such as company logos, visual product descriptions, promotional artwork and educational materials, as well as book covers, web pages, product packaging, street signs, building interiors, textiles, assembly instructions and many others.
Some Saint Louis graphic designers work for leading local advertising agencies. Reputable local firms include Adamson Advertising, Garrow Media, Moosylvania Marketing, Mozaic, and Wehrenberg Theatres. Other local artists design film credits, movie posters and promotional artwork for top Saint Louis motion picture producers like Coronet, Ironman Sound Industries, Technisonic Studios, V-9 Studios and Vision Factory.
Graphic designers who live in Saint Louis might also work for news syndicates, landscaping professionals, art galleries, patent offices, software developers, colleges, book publishers, retailers, equipment manufacturers, industrial contractors, architects, real estate agents and internet start-ups. Businesses in America currently support more than a quarter million graphic designers. Their salaries vary depending on education, related experience and skill, among other factors. About half of all graphic designers working in the U.S. earn from $30,000 to $60,000 per year.
Skills of a Graphic Designer
Graphic design is a form of visual communication by which the attributes of forms, symbols and backgrounds are organized, distorted or otherwise manipulated to achieve a desired effect. In other words, graphic designers send precise visual messages more clear than written language. Most professional graphic design work involves layout – the arrangement of lines, colors, shapes and symbols on a page.
Graphic designers expertly juxtapose visual elements, combine certain colors, shift light sources, change backgrounds and tweak the physical features of words to metamorphosize their meaning. Preferred attributes of a professional Communications Designer include visual alertness, intense concentration and extreme attention to detail.
- Find a School
- Animation Programs
- Find Schools with Animation, Design, & Gaming Programs
- Schools & Colleges
- College Outreach
- Alabama - Kentucky
- Alabama Animation Schools
- Alaska Animation Schools
- Arizona Animation Schools
- Arkansas Animation Schools
- California Animation Schools
- Colorado Animation Schools
- Connecticut Animation Schools
- Delaware Animation Schools
- District of Columbia (DC)
- Florida Animation Schools
- Georgia Animation Schools
- Hawaii Animation Schools
- Idaho Animation Schools
- Illinois Animation Schools
- Indiana Animation Schools
- Iowa Animation Schools
- Kansas Animation Schools
- Kentucky Animation Schools
- Louisiana - North Dakota
- Louisiana Animation Schools
- Maine Animation Schools
- Maryland Animation Schools
- Massachusetts Animation Schools
- Michigan Animation Schools
- Minnesota Animation Schools
- Mississippi Animation Schools
- Missouri Animation Schools
- Montana Animation Schools
- Nebraska Animation Schools
- Nevada Animation Schools
- New Hampshire Animation Schools
- New Jersey Animation Schools
- New Mexico Animation Schools
- New York Animation Schools
- North Carolina Animation Schools
- North Dakota Animation Schools
- Ohio - Wyoming
- Ohio Animation Schools
- Oklahoma Animation Schools
- Oregon Animation Schools
- Pennsylvania Animation Schools
- Rhode Island Animation Schools
- South Carolina Animation Schools
- South Dakota Animation Schools
- Tennessee Animation Schools
- Texas Animation Schools
- Utah Animation Schools
- Vermont Animation Schools
- Virginia Animation Schools
- Washington Animation Schools
- West Virginia Animation Schools
- Wisconsin Animation Schools
- Wyoming Animation Schools
- Careers in Animation
- Animation Firm Profiles
- Software & Technology
- What You Need to Know to Be a Graphic Designer in Missouri
- How to Become an Animator in Saint Louis, Missouri
- How to Become a Mobile App Developer in Saint Louis, Missouri
- What You Need to Know to Be an Illustrator in Saint Louis, Missouri
- Tips on Becoming a Multimedia Editor in Saint Louis, Missouri