Find a school near you!
Animation? Design? Game Art?
Info on Working as a Video Game Designer in Long Beach, California
Individuals seeking employment in Sacramento, California can pursue successful careers in animation and video game design. With a population of more than 400,000, this Capital city has much to offer in this competitive field. California features more video game design jobs than any other U.S. state. Many of these jobs are found in Sacramento, with many more in San Francisco, an easy commute by train.
Long Beach Schools and Training Programs for Video Game Design
Up and coming video game designers might study communications with focus on digital media. Others learn programming languages with emphasis on animation. Some earn math majors with a minor in game theory. Some are simply self-taught video game designers.
Top schools in Long Beach that offer degree programs in Animation and Interactive Game Design include Long Beach City College. Long Beach video game designers can also easily commute to USC, UCLA, California Institute of the Arts, California Polytechnic State University and Art Center College of Design. More training and degree options are available online. The most prolific online colleges with degree programs for video game designers are University of Phoenix, ITT Tech and DeVry.
Working as A Video Game Designer in Long Beach
Animators and video game designers tend to earn high salaries, but their income depends on factors like experience, effort, talent, ability, performance, productivity, networking and geographic location, among other things. The average annual salary for an animator or video game designer in the state California is about $77,000. One statistic states that animators and video game designers in the United States earn approximately from $35,000 to more than $200,000 per year. However, the study neglected to include information regarding the incomes of self-employed designers.
Long Beach companies hiring animators and video game designers may include software publishers, mobile phone service providers, colleges, graphic design firms and animation studios. Some designers work for local ad agencies like Eta Advertising, Davis & Associates or Media Partners Worldwide. Other designers team up with local movie companies like Creative Ventures, Jack Dabner Productions and Long Beach Locations.
Animators and video game designers are hired to increase revenues by helping to develop successful interactive products. Businesses invest dearly in scouting designers from a huge pool of qualified applicants. Employers typically require a degree and related experience, but they do occasionally hire self-taught professionals and gifted, highly motivated beginners.
Self-starters do not have to work for a firm, thanks to an endless array of start-up companies and websites seeking digital interactive games. Many video game designers are freelance professionals, setting their own schedules from home. Some designers contract with corporations. Some design and sell games independently. Some build game-related websites.
Recommended Skills for Video Game Designers
A video game designer conceives a game idea, invents the rules, devises a scoring system and adds enhancements like sounds, visual effects and unique challenges. These can include puzzles, mazes, traps, maps, detours, obstacle courses and many more surprises. The designer also programs the time limit and ever-increasing difficulty levels, as well as the speed and motion of the game's images.
Video game designers do their own artwork (or get professional animators to do it), then select the color schemes and visual styles most appropriate for the game. Mechanical Engineers build prototypes of each completed design. The prototypes are used in presentations to potential investors. Designers also play-test prototypes in an effort to determine a game's potential for commercial success.
Experts in the field of animation and video game design study subjects such as math, computer science, fine arts, digital media, communications, game theory, character development, commercial trends and many other topics. The goal is to create a top-quality, fun-filled, action-packed best-seller. The video game designer's farthest reaching aim is mass market appeal.
- Find a School
- Animation Programs
- Find Schools with Animation, Design, & Gaming Programs
- Schools & Colleges
- College Outreach
- Alabama - Kentucky
- Alabama Animation Schools
- Alaska Animation Schools
- Arizona Animation Schools
- Arkansas Animation Schools
- California Animation Schools
- Colorado Animation Schools
- Connecticut Animation Schools
- Delaware Animation Schools
- District of Columbia (DC)
- Florida Animation Schools
- Georgia Animation Schools
- Hawaii Animation Schools
- Idaho Animation Schools
- Illinois Animation Schools
- Indiana Animation Schools
- Iowa Animation Schools
- Kansas Animation Schools
- Kentucky Animation Schools
- Louisiana - North Dakota
- Louisiana Animation Schools
- Maine Animation Schools
- Maryland Animation Schools
- Massachusetts Animation Schools
- Michigan Animation Schools
- Minnesota Animation Schools
- Mississippi Animation Schools
- Missouri Animation Schools
- Montana Animation Schools
- Nebraska Animation Schools
- Nevada Animation Schools
- New Hampshire Animation Schools
- New Jersey Animation Schools
- New Mexico Animation Schools
- New York Animation Schools
- North Carolina Animation Schools
- North Dakota Animation Schools
- Ohio - Wyoming
- Ohio Animation Schools
- Oklahoma Animation Schools
- Oregon Animation Schools
- Pennsylvania Animation Schools
- Rhode Island Animation Schools
- South Carolina Animation Schools
- South Dakota Animation Schools
- Tennessee Animation Schools
- Texas Animation Schools
- Utah Animation Schools
- Vermont Animation Schools
- Virginia Animation Schools
- Washington Animation Schools
- West Virginia Animation Schools
- Wisconsin Animation Schools
- Wyoming Animation Schools
- Careers in Animation
- Animation Firm Profiles
- Software & Technology
- How to Become a Video Game Designer in Sacramento, California
- Tips on Becoming a Video Game Designer in Fresno, California
- What You Need to Know to Be a Video Game Designer in Tucson, Arizona
- Info on Working as a Video Game Designer in North Dakota
- Info on Working as a a Video Game Designer in Albuquerque, New Mexico