Find a school near you!
Animation? Design? Game Art?
Animation is the Future with Studio Todd's Owner Todd Schowalter
The animation industry is filled with wacky off-the-wall types, which is probably what attracted off-the-wall Todd Schowalter to the business. Todd, in his decades in the business, has established himself as a comical animator, entrepreneur and oh so much more.
In addition to running his own production studio, Studio Todd, he is also a cartoonist, comedian, motivation speaker, actor, talk show host, marketer and published author. And his humor is what 'ties it all together'.
We managed to pry out some free time from Todd to offer some advice (and good humor) to our inspiring animator readers:
What is your firm's focus within animation and what led your firm to have such a focus?
The primary focus right now is to convert my newspaper comic strips to animation format for the internet.
Fill in the blank: The future of animation is _________.
Features and gaming. If you look at how far computer animation has come in realistic storytelling, it's just a matter of time before filmmakers begin realizing they have far more control over their projects with animation than they do with live actors. Sorry, Brad Pitt.
What are the best and worst aspects about working in the animation field?
Best would be complete artistic control.
Worst, it still takes a lot of time.
Among your firm's achievements, which one(s) are you the most proud of?
Being able to produce a series of shorts on a budget that would have been impossible ten years ago.
What skills/qualities does your firm seek out when hiring new employees?
Passion, dedication and being able to take direction.
What particular schools, if any, does your firm recruit new hires from? If none, where do you recruit new hires?
Most of my animators are those who have either approached me, or I have found through their websites.
What advice would you give to aspiring animators?
Build a professional website to showcase your work. If you can't do this, I'm pretty sure that you're not professional enough to work with.
What were your most challenging projects, and why?
Not really a challenge, but it all comes down to writing and storytelling. The animation can be be brilliant, but if it's a bad story nobody is going to watch it.
What kind of education did it take to get you where you are today?
I'm a college graduate, but most of my animation experience stems from drawing comic strips in college, then professionally and then selling a concept to an animation studio. It's a different world that it was back in the late 80's. The tools available to young animators today were unheard of back in my day, and I'm only 47.
What animation software packages does your firm prefer to use? Which one would you recommend to beginners?
Could you share with us your best story about working in the animation industry.
I received a personal letter from Bill Hanna and Joe Barbera congratulating me on my work.
Do you think that there is an increasing or decreasing demand for animators overall? Why?
HUGE demand. It's the FUTURE!
Check out more interviews at The Animation Career Review Interview Series.
- Find a School
- Animation Programs
- Find Schools with Animation, Design, & Gaming Programs
- Schools & Colleges
- College Outreach
- Alabama - Kentucky
- Alabama Animation Schools
- Alaska Animation Schools
- Arizona Animation Schools
- Arkansas Animation Schools
- California Animation Schools
- Colorado Animation Schools
- Connecticut Animation Schools
- Delaware Animation Schools
- District of Columbia (DC)
- Florida Animation Schools
- Georgia Animation Schools
- Hawaii Animation Schools
- Idaho Animation Schools
- Illinois Animation Schools
- Indiana Animation Schools
- Iowa Animation Schools
- Kansas Animation Schools
- Kentucky Animation Schools
- Louisiana - North Dakota
- Louisiana Animation Schools
- Maine Animation Schools
- Maryland Animation Schools
- Massachusetts Animation Schools
- Michigan Animation Schools
- Minnesota Animation Schools
- Mississippi Animation Schools
- Missouri Animation Schools
- Montana Animation Schools
- Nebraska Animation Schools
- Nevada Animation Schools
- New Hampshire Animation Schools
- New Jersey Animation Schools
- New Mexico Animation Schools
- New York Animation Schools
- North Carolina Animation Schools
- North Dakota Animation Schools
- Ohio - Wyoming
- Ohio Animation Schools
- Oklahoma Animation Schools
- Oregon Animation Schools
- Pennsylvania Animation Schools
- Rhode Island Animation Schools
- South Carolina Animation Schools
- South Dakota Animation Schools
- Tennessee Animation Schools
- Texas Animation Schools
- Utah Animation Schools
- Vermont Animation Schools
- Virginia Animation Schools
- Washington Animation Schools
- West Virginia Animation Schools
- Wisconsin Animation Schools
- Wyoming Animation Schools
- Careers in Animation
- Animation Firm Profiles
- Software & Technology
- ilightmagic Brings Quality and Reliable Service to Animation with Stefan Miller
- Chad Briggs Dishes on Element X Creative Unique Out-of-the-Box Style in Animation
- Mary Nittolo Discusses Animation Career Success at The Studio
- Laurent Donnay, Managing Director of TouTenKartoon Talks Focusing on Technology in Animation Today
- Richard O'Connor of Ace and Son Discusses What the Animation Industry Means to Him