Film Parody/Tribute Animation Contest – 2017
You have continued to impress us over the last seven short animation contests with your skills and creativity. Which is why we are now launching a theme where you can create a parody or tribute to any film ever! How's that for endless possibilities? There are a few rule changes, so please read carefully!
Your animation still needs to be at least twenty seconds long, use at least ten seconds from ANY free Kevin MacLeod song, and follow the simple rules outlined below. Watch this contest video before reading the rules, and then enter the contest here. Free 3D animation rigs are available at the bottom of this page, but every style of animation is welcome.
We want to see what our creative community can come up with so the animation rules are simple:
- Must be a new animation. Past animations may not be submitted.
- Must be a parody or tribute of at least one movie, with at least one film name listed in its title.
- May not use any raw video or audio clips from any film, but you can do your own voiceovers.
- Must use at least ten seconds of audio from ANY free Kevin MacLeod song.
- Submissions must be uploaded to YouTube and submitted here.
- All animation styles are allowed! 2D, 3D, stop motion, Lego, Minecraft, etc, but nothing offensive or R rated.
- Winning criteria: cleverness, precision in matching the audio to the animation, entertainment value, evidence of animation skill, and including challenging animations. Animation quantity and video length are no longer part of our winning criteria.
- Contest is available to artists from all countries! Winners paid by check or through PayPal.
- Copyrighted art (rigs, props, music, etc) are not allowed. Free rigs are listed below.
- Your video’s credits need to include the 3 lines of Creative Commons text from the Kevin MacLeod song of your choosing. Without it in your credits, you’ll be disqualified.
- If you use any free rigs or art assets, you must credit them at the end of your video.
- Animation Career Review claims no copyright to any of the audio or video in any of the contest videos, but by submitting your entry you give us the right to use your animation for promotional purposes in the future. All entries will be publicly displayed on our site.
- You can enter more than once! One video can only win one prize, but one person can win multiple prizes if their multiple entries win different awards. Winners will be notified by email.
- You may not use premade animations (some software comes with these). You are allowed to use premade characters and rigs, but they must be listed in the credits. We reserve the right to disqualify videos that we suspect used premade animations.
- All entries are reviewed by moderators before they're added to the contest gallery. This process may take a few days so don't worry if you don't see your submission displayed right away.
- Deadline for entry is 9:00 AM Eastern Standard Time on March 15th.
- 1st Place: $1,000
- 2nd Place: $500
- 3rd Place: $200
We may award $100 for some or all of these bonus categories: 4th Place, 5th Place, Most Humorous, Most Emotional, Most Artistic, Best Secondary Animations, Best Facial Animations, Best Tribute, Best Parody, Best Story, and Best Presentation.
Free Contest Music:
There are the 3 lines of Creative Commons text that you need to include in your video’s credits. If you want to use the song from the contest video, this is what it would look like:
The Show Must Be Go Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License
You may also use other songs or art assets if they are public domain or free to use for commercial purposes, but they still need to be listed in your credits. We will not accept contest entries with insufficient credits. If something doesn’t say it can be used for commercial purposes, you probably can’t use it.
Free 3D Animation Rigs:
Below are two animation rigs that you are allowed to use for contest and portfolio purposes, but you must credit them if you use them in your contest video. Failure to do so is grounds for disqualification and having your video removed from our gallery.
Films are exciting, animation is fun, and free money is sweet, so let’s see what you can create! Good luck and have fun! Make sure you follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube for updates, and to share your progress with our online community.
View Past Contest Results:
- Schools & Colleges
- College Outreach
- Alabama - Kentucky
- Alabama Schools
- Alaska Schools
- Arizona Schools
- Arkansas Schools
- California Schools
- Academy of Art University
- Animation Mentor
- Art Center College of Design
- California College of the Arts
- California State University, Fullerton
- California State University, Northridge
- Chapman University
- Gnomon School of Visual Effects
- Laguna College of Art and Design
- Long Beach State
- Loyola Marymount University
- Otis College of Art and Design
- San Jose State University
- SAE Ex’pression College
- University of California, Irvine
- University of California Los Angeles
- University of California, Santa Cruz
- University of Southern California
- Woodbury University
- Colorado Schools
- Connecticut Schools
- Delaware Schools
- District of Columbia (DC)
- Florida Schools
- Georgia Schools
- Hawaii Schools
- Idaho Schools
- Illinois Schools
- Indiana Schools
- Iowa Schools
- Kansas Schools
- Kentucky Schools
- Louisiana - North Dakota
- Louisiana Schools
- Maine Schools
- Maryland Schools
- Massachusetts Schools
- Michigan Schools
- Minnesota Schools
- Mississippi Schools
- Missouri Schools
- Montana Schools
- Nebraska Schools
- Nevada Schools
- New Hampshire Schools
- New Jersey Schools
- New Mexico Schools
- New York Schools
- North Carolina Schools
- North Dakota Schools
- Ohio - Wyoming
- Ohio Schools
- Oklahoma Schools
- Oregon Schools
- Pennsylvania Schools
- Rhode Island Schools
- South Carolina Schools
- South Dakota Schools
- Tennessee Schools
- Texas Schools
- Utah Schools
- Vermont Schools
- Virginia Schools
- Washington Schools
- West Virginia Schools
- Wisconsin Schools
- Wyoming Schools
- Careers in Animation
- Software & Technology